BIRMINGHAM DENTAL HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The first dental hospital in Birmingham was founded by Samuel Adams Parker in 1858 at Odd-fellows Hall, Temple Street. In 1863 it moved to the Homeopathic Hospital in Upper Priory, and in 1871 moved to Broad Street, moving again in 1882 to Newhall Street., where it shared a building with a brewery and a lying in (maternity) charity.

The Dental School  started in 1880 at Queen’s College (Queen’s Hospital) Bath Row and in 1892 the college amalgamated with Mason’s College, which in 1900 became The University of Birmingham. The School of Dentistry and the Hospital moved to new premises on Great Charles Street. in 1905.

The present Dental Hospital, the sixth, was opened in 1965 on a site next to the General Hospital (now Children’s Hospital)