BIRMINGHAM & MIDLAND EYE HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The Birmingham and Midland Eye Hospital was founded in 1823 by Joseph Hodgson it started off in a building located in Cannon Street, in 1853 it moved to a site in Steelhouse Lane, which was brought for a cost of £1,900; in 1862 it moved again to a building in Temple Street that was bought and adapted at a cost of £8,217. It wasn’t until 1884 that a purpose built 70 bedded hospital built at a cost of £20,000, was opened on the 24th July, by Lady Leigh in Church Street. It was again relocated in 1996 to City Hospital (Dudley Road)

In 2000 the building was converted to a 600 roomed hotel.