BIRMINGHAM &  MIDLANDS WOMAN’S HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

Birmingham surgeon Robert Lawson Tait founded the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Women in 1871, it was a hospital devoted to “the alleviation of diseases peculiar to woman”. With only 8 beds it soon became obvious that larger premises would be required, so in 1878 it was re-located to a converted farmhouse on Stratford Road, Sparkhill, with a capacity of 21 beds. Demand for beds continued and in 1904 the foundation stone was laid by  Mr. Arthur Chamberlain for a new purpose-built hospital in Showell Green Lane.

When the hospital closed in 1994, it transferred to the Birmingham Maternity Hospital at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital site in Edgbaston. It now cares for about 50,000 patients a year with about 7,000 babies delivered.