BOURNEVILLE LANE BATHS

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

These baths were the second provided by the Kings Norton and Northfield District Council, following Tiverton Road baths, were opened on 25th July 1911. The land was given by George and Elizabeth Cadbury who also paid for the cost of construction.

There was one swimming bath with a spectator’s gallery. There were a number of private baths for men and women, and for a short time a small Russian or Vapour baths.

Bourneville Lane was one of the first baths in the country, to have a dedicated system to circulate, filter and aerate the swimming bath water using water supplied from the Corporation water mains, the normal practice before this was to extract water from bore hole wells and drain and refill the bath water as a means of keeping the water suitably clean.

This principle was later to be introduced to all swimming baths controlled by Local Authorities.