Good Hope Hospital began life as a large Victorian house, which was purchased in the spring of 1943 for £5,000 for use as a convalescent home for patients from the Sutton Cottage Hospital. Good Hope stayed as a convalescent home until the early 1950s, when during the 'Cold War', two single story wards were built as a place to evacuate people from Birmingham in the event of a nuclear attack.
A central kitchen was completed by April 1958, and this was the showpiece of the hospital as it provided a diet kitchen, pastry, vegetable and meat preparation rooms, stores and accommodation for the chef. The house was converted to provide residential accommodation for medical staff.
The Sheldon Unit was opened in 1967, comprising of four wards.
The Richard Salt unit, a seven-story block, was officially opened by the RT. Hon. Lord Aberdare in 1971.
The Fothergill Block was originally built as a Maternity Hospital, the seven story building housed the Baby Care Unit, Pre-natal Clinic and wards, was opened on 24th October 1967 by HRH The Duchess of Kent.
The Education Centre was opened as such in march 2001. Previous to this, it was the College of Midwifery.
The Partnership Learning Centre was originally a Postgraduate Medical Centreand was opened on 15 July 1967 by Sir Max Rosenheim, the then President of the Royal College of Physicians.
Treatment Centre built in 2003. It provides outpatient and diagnostic services for patients. The first phase, a new endoscopy suite, opened in July 2005. The second phase, the outpatient and diagnostic services, opened in September 2005.