©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

In 1890 the Baths Committee joined forces with the Free Libraries Committee and acquired a site in Green Lane, where a swimming bath and library could be built, but it took until the 29th October 1902 before the building was opened to the public. The baths consisted of a first and second class swimming bath and suites of first or second class private baths for men and women. The large swimming bath was destroyed by enemy bombing during a raid on the night of 18th October 1940; it took until 1951 before money was found to rebuild the bath.