GROVE LANE BATHS

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The Grove Lane baths built by the Handsworth Local Board was opened to the public on 28th January 1907. It offered first and second class swimming baths suites of first and second class private baths for men and women with a Turkish bath designed in an “appropriate Eastern style.

The two baths were 100 foot long which was an unusual feature for baths built at this time, this asset made it one of the most popular baths.

Taken over by the Baths Committee on 3rd June 1911 following Royal Assent when Handsworth, Aston Manor, Erdington, Yardley, Moseley, Kings Heath and Selly Oak became part of Greater Birmingham.

After standing derelict for many years, the baths have now been converted into a number of residential apartments.