JAFFRAY HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The Jaffray Hospital was opened in 1885 by The Prince of Wales; the hospital was named after John Jaffray, owner of the Birmingham Daily Post, Governor of the General Hospital and a committee member of The Children’s Hospital in Broad Street and the Women’s Hospital in Sparkhill. He had the Jaffray built with his own expense.

When the Hospital was opened by the Prince of Wales, a ceremonial key, made by Messers. Skinner and Co. of Vittoria Street was presented to the Prince, they also made a reduced copy of the key in the form of a brooch for presentation to Mrs. Jaffray.

The hospital was used as a geriatric and convalescent unit for the General Hospital from the 1950’s until its closure in 1991. It was finally demolished in 1995, and is now housing.

 

The brooch presented to Mrs. Jaffray at the opening ceremony