MONUMENT ROAD BATHS

©† COLIN BAKER†† 2007†††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

The baths were opened to the public on 27th February 1883. They were the first baths to be built in the city for over twenty-one years.

The baths offered first and second class swimming baths, suites of first and second class menís and womenís private baths and Turkish baths.

Just before the Second World War the building was demolished with plans to re-build it as a modern baths. However, the size of the site was restricted by a new line for Monument Road, which meant it was only possible to provide one swimming bath. The new Monument Road Baths was opened on 27th June 1940.