MOSELEY HALL HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The present Moseley Hall replaced an earlier building that was one of the properties burnt down during the Priestley Riots of July 1791. It belonged to  John Taylor, who with Mr Sampson Lloyd founded Lloyds Bank in the 1760's
At the time the old Moseley Hall originally built in early 1700's was almost falling down, so it could be said that Riots did him a favour.

After the riots John Taylor made a claim for £12,670 9s 2d compensation for the damage to his two properties Moseley Hall and Bordesley Hall, he settled after a two year wait for £9,902 2s 0d. He then took on John Stanbridge of Warwick to rebuild Moseley Hall. The building took four years and was completed in 1797, John Taylor then used the house as a family home. The large estate had a park ‘landscaped’ after Humphrey Repton’s suggestions. The first road was cut through the park in 1865 and by 1900 much of the land was covered by roads comprised of Victorian houses. Fortunately a portion of the park, surrounding the lake, was leased by a group of local residents who formed the Moseley Park and Pool Company to prevent further building developments. This pleasant park opened by Austin Chamberlain on the 29th September 1899, has been saved to the present day, a truly hidden gem and a relic of Repton’s landscape. Within the park, the ice house which served Moseley Hall has been kept and recently restored, and a dovecote and cowhouse from the original estate still exists in the hospital grounds.

In 1884 the house was, leased to Richard Cadbury, who in 1890 approached The Children's Hospital Committee, offering Moseley Hall, complete with it’s out-buildings, lodges, plantations, lawns and grassland, a total of 22 acres of the Moseley Hall Estate as a convalescent home and children's hospital for the benefit of the under privileged children of Birmingham. The offer was gratefully accepted on the understanding “that at any time the Hall became unsuitable for use as a home or hospital for children, the land could be sold and another home built with the proceeds further from the city”. In 1891 Richard Cadbury brought the house off the Taylor family at a cost of £16,450 for the house and 117 acres of parkland.

In December 1891, the committee took possession of the property and the Cadbury family  moved to a new house they had built at Uffculme, and gave the Hall to the City to be used as a convalescent hospital for children. It required very little structural alteration except for the addition of extra toilets and bathrooms and by 2nd April 1892 it was completed and Richard Cadbury formally handed over the Hall to the Mayor of Birmingham Councillor Lawley Parker. The total value of this gift was estimated at £30,000. The hospital was open to all suitable children recommended by subscribers or sent from any other hospital, it was run solely by donations or annual subscription from the general public. It remained as a children's hospital for over seventy years. I'm sure many will remember Moseley Hall Children's Hospital as the place were they had their tonsils removed (me included). It was absorbed into the National Health Service on 5th July 1948, and closed as a children's hospital in 1966. During 1914-18 war it was used as a VAD War Hospital for wounded servicemen.

Cadburys still retain the deeds on the property and it is leased to the NHS for a peppercorn rent.
On 10
th June 1966, the hospital closed for eighteen months to enable a new three storey ward and service blocks to the west of the Old Hall to be built, and alterations the Old Hall which had been the Children’s Hospital, the building was converted to a admin block and all the old wards ,operating theatre and kitchens were converted to offices. When it was re-opened it became a geriatric hospital.

Now as a community hospital, it continues to provide a service to the people of Birmingham, a service that it has supplied for over 100 years.

The Dovecote