B.14

BIRMINGHAM…….B14

KINGS HEATH & DISTRICT

HISTORY

PARKS

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

HIGHBURY PARK

 

 

Formally part of the grounds of Highbury Hall, the home of Joseph Chamberlain.
In January 1923 The Birmingham Civic Society purchased 42 acres of land in Kings Heath known as the "Henbury's". This purchase joined the  estates of Highbury and Uffculme, which together became known as Highbury Park.
The land was bought at public auction for £9,000 and was gifted to the City on the understanding that the Society would be consulted regarding the lay-out and treatment of the grounds.

The grounds were lovingly landscaped at the turn of the 20th Century with extensive tree planting and other more 'exotic' areas identified as the Dutch gardens, predominately planted with bulbs and the Italian gardens using terracotta brick work reflecting the Mediterranean theme

Kings Heath House was built in 1832 for William Congreve Russell MP who lived there until 1835.In 1880 the house was brought by the Cartland family who also owned the adjoining property The Priory, it was then let on a twenty one year lease to Frederick Everitt, the owner of Kings Heath Brewery.

 In November 1908 the house and half the surrounding land was sold to Kings Norton and Northfield District Council for £11, 000, the council then opened the grounds as a public park.

Between 1908 and 1911 Kings Heath House or “The White House” as it was known at this time, was used as temporary accommodation for 300 school children prior to the new Colmore Road Schools opening. After 1911 the house was used as an administrative centre. In 1953, the house became part of the School of Horticultural Training, which has now existed at Kings Heath Park for over 50 years

 

KINGS HEATH PARK

SWANSHURST PARK

Kings Heath House