B.14

BIRMINGHAM…….B14

KINGS HEATH & DISTRICT

HISTORY

PUBS/CLUBS

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                      

The Station

The Cross Guns

Built 1889

There has been a pub on this site since 1792.The original pub was known as The Pear Tree, as there was one growing across the front of it. The present pub was built in 1897, and named The Cross Guns by the owner James Bate, who had previously been a gun maker. At the rear of the pub was the Kings Heath Brewery,  This brewery, was founded in 1831 by the Bate family, who ran it until 1881, when Frederick Everitt purchased it, in 1895 it  became part of Birmingham Brewery Ltd. and closed in 1902 and was demolished in 1904 when Bank Street was built. 

 

 

 

 

The Hare & Hounds

There has been a pub on the corner of York Road since the 1820’s.The present pub built in 1907 still has some original Art Nouveau tiles in the entrance. UB40 had their first public performance here playing for a friends birthday party in February 1979  

The Red Lion

Another public building designed by C.E.Bateman, built in 1904.

 

Kings Arms (The Knob)

The Horse Shoe Inn

 

The Horseshoes pub on Alcester Road South is located alongside the Birmingham- Stratford upon Avon Canal. There is an arm off the canal which leads to a wharf at the rear of the pub. In 1868 Richard Haydon the landlord is also listed as a coal merchant

The Billesley Arms

The original Billesley Arms was replaced by the present one in 1927

The Warstock

Another pub gone now houses built on site

The Maypole

The Maypole Public House was closed in 2004 and demolished 2005.

A Travel Lodge motel is now built on the site.

The Happy Valley

        

(thanks to Mike Fisher)