© COLIN BAKER 2007
The foundation stone for the Birmingham Medical Schools new teaching hospital known as Queen’s Hospital was laid on 18th June 1840 by Earl Howe, the 70 bed hospital was opened the following year, at a cost of £8,746. By 1845 more wards were added, raising the capacity to 98, and a further extension built in 1871, housed a new outpatient department.
In 1875, Queens Hospital became a free hospital, the system of “subscriber tickets” was abandoned, and a one shilling admission fee was charged, although this could be waived in cases of hardship.
By 1900, it had 60 medical and 118 surgical totalling 178 beds.
In 1908, following further expansion the hospital treated over 39,000 patients with 2,685 as in-patients
The hospital was used during WW1 as a military hospital and treated over 1600 casualties.
Queen’s Hospital remained a teaching hospital until the Queen Elizabeth Hospital opened in 1938, and the hospital closed.
It was reopened as an accident hospital in 1941 to help address the increase in injuries due to the war. A new out-patients department and reception was opened 14th August 1944.
Originally known as Birmingham Accident and Rehabilitation Centre it changed its name in 1974 to the Birmingham Accident Hospital.
It closed in 1993, as a listed building it is now a student accommodation complex.