ROYAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The first Orthopaedic Institute dealing with “people labouring under bodily deformity” was located in Newhall Street, a new wing was added in 1888 with a donation from Queen Victoria who allowed the Institute to call itself the Royal Orthopaedic and Spinal Hospital.

At the same time as the R.O.S.H. was developing, the Birmingham Cripples Union in Hurst Street was dealing with children with Polio, Tuberculosis and spinal problems.

In 1907, George and Elizabeth Cadbury gave a house and land known as The Woodlands in Northfield to the Crippled Children’s Union.

In 1925, the Royal Orthopaedic and Spinal Hospital and the Birmingham Cripples Union amalgamated and King George approved the title The Royal Cripples Hospital, Birmingham.

During the 1920’s and 1930’s, The Woodlands provided in-patient facilities, with an out-patients department located in the former Children’s Hospital in Broad Street.

 

Orthopaedic Hospital Broad Street

Royal Orthopaedic Hospital Woodlands