B.14

BIRMINGHAM…….B14

KINGS HEATH & DISTRICT

HISTORY

SILVER STREET

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                    

TRAM DEPOT

The steam tram line was extended to Kings Heath in 1887, where a tram depot was built. The steam trams were replaced by electric trams in 1907, and ran until 1949 when they were replaced by motor buses.

FIRE STATION

Kings Heath Fire Station has been located in Silver Street since 1886. During its time there, it was located in 3 separate positions. In 1892 the Volunteer Brigade consisted of 2 officers and 9 men. By 1911 this had risen to 23 men with one steam and one manual engine. It closed and was demolished in the late 60’s

SILVER STREET SHOPS

On the left of the picture, you can just see Tommy Godwin's Cycle Shop. Many of us spent hours looking through the window of his shop without realising just how important this shop and its owner was to the world of cycle racing. It was next door to the chip shop where we would buy our chips.