ST. CHAD’S HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

St. Chad’s Hospital was founded in September 1914 by Edgbaston Private Nursing Home Ltd., as a “hospital for paying patients”. It purchased a large house and grounds in Edgbaston for a total of £22,000. This money was raised by selling shares in the company.

It was intended to be a non-charitable, self supporting institution for the treatment of patients who were un-able to pay the large costs involved with private surgery, and who did not qualify for charity hospitals. It was to be run on strictly business lines, with all members of the medical staff holding shares to the nominal value of £200.

The patient was charged a minimum of £5.5s (£5.25) per week, with the cost of treatment being agreed between patient and medical staff. As an example, for a haemorrhoids or hernia operation the cost was £14.14s (£14.70) which covered the operation, the anaesthetic, and 14 days stay in hospital, for chronic appendicitis the cost was £21, which included three weeks stay in hospital.

The hospital had sixty small private wards and four six bedded wards, capable of accommodating 100 patients. It also contained two theatres, x-ray rooms and laboratories. It was also recognized as a training school for nurses.

During its first seven months, some 189 patients were admitted, mainly surgical cases, which raised an income of £1,287. by 1919, it had become 1,011 patients paying a total of £9,729.

In 1935 it was extended when the hospital was brought by Smethwick Corporation, and was taken over by Dudley Road Hospital Management Committee in 1948, with the formation of the National Health Service.

The hospital closed c1982.