B.14

BIRMINGHAM…….B14

KINGS HEATH & DISTRICT

HISTORY

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON CANAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The canal started in 1793 and completed in 1816, runs from a junction with the Birmingham-Worcester Canal at Kings Norton to Stratford upon Avon, linking with the Grand Union Canal at Lapworth. It cost £297,000 to build with one tunnel and 56 locks over the 25 miles. The Brandwood Tunnel 352 yards long, runs under Monyhull Hall Road at the junction with Broad Lane, was built between 1795-96. The reservoirs at Earlswood were built in 1821 to act as feeders to the canal, these three lakes with a total capacity of 210 million gallons, also became a place to enjoy a day out walking and fishing during the early 1900’s.

HAPPY VALLEY

 

Located on the Stratford - upon - Avon Canal, by the Yardley Wood Road bridge, this area became a popular attraction in the early 1900s. It was possible to hire rowing boats on the canal, and regular open - air concerts were held there. Events would be arranged for the Bank Holidays during the summer months. Camping and a number of chalets were also available.