WEST HEATH HOSPITAL

©  COLIN BAKER   2007                                                                                       

The Kings Norton Infectious Diseases Hospital opened in 1889 to treat smallpox and other infectious diseases. Taken over by The City of Birmingham in 1911 and by 1919 was known as West Heath Sanatorium, the name changed again in 1954 to West Heath Hospital, and mainly dealt with cases of tuberculosis and other chest diseases. In 1965, part of the hospital became a geriatric unit, with a new block built in 1972 to become a hospital for geriatric care.